Home to the Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers, golf was first played at Muirfield in 1891 on 18 holes laid out by Old Tom Morris.
It was in 1891 that the current course was opened and the club moved from its previous home at the links in nearby Musselburgh. Just a year later, in 1892, Muirfield hosted the first of its sixteen Opens, which was won by Harold Hilton, one of only three amateurs to have lifted the Claret Jug.
The course is renowned amongst golfers as being perhaps the fairest test of all the Open venues, with few of the quirky bounces and hidden danger that links courses often contain. Two circuits of nine rotate in opposite directions, the back nine looping inside the front nine, ensuring that the golfer is never faced with the same wind direction on two consecutive holes.
The Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers, as the golf club at Muirfield is properly known, is one of the oldest golf clubs in the world, and the source of the earliest written Rules of Golf which date back to 1744.
Sunday 23 Jul 2000. 12:00 PM