Glasgow Golf Club, the 9th oldest golf club in the world, was founded in 1787. The members played initially on Glasgow Green and subsequently on Queen’s Park and Alexandra Park, all three areas owned and managed by the then Glasgow Corporation and open to all Glasgow citizens whether or not they were Club members.
As golf mushroomed in popularity at the start of the 1890s and the Alexandra Park course became more and more crowded, the members decided to start looking for suitable ground in Ayrshire to establish a course which would complement the city one and, most importantly, which they themselves would control and manage.
They soon homed in on Gailes and agreed the initial lease with the landowner, the Duke of Portland, in time for the course to be officially opened on 19th May 1892 when the Captain, John Risk, drove the first ball with a driver made by Andrew Forgan from beech wood from Golfhill Estate in Glasgow, beside Alexandra Park.
In 1912 Willie Park Jr, who had won the Open Championship in 1887 and 1889, and Tulloch, the Club professional, combined their talents to re-design the layout of the course. Park always believed Gailes to be one of his finest creations and, apart from increasing its length over the years to today’s 6,903 yards off the championship tees, the layout remains as he envisaged it.