In 1909, Lord Willoughby de Eresby first proposed the construction of a golf course on 250 acres of land known as South Luffenham Heath. Local dignitaries supported the idea and, more importantly, so did his father Lord Ancaster on whose land the golf course was intended. At the time, Harry Colt was helping with the design of Woodall Spa in adjoining Lincolnshire. As Lord Willoughby was President of that Club also, Colt was doubtless persuaded to have a look at the new venture. Funded by the Ancaster estate, Harry Colt was subsequently commissioned to design and supervise the construction of the course.
The course was opened in 1911 with a celebrity match, witnessed by over 1000 spectators, between James Braid and Harry Vardon, both eventual winners of 5 Open Championships each. Braid eventually turned to course design and his appreciation of the course must have been sufficient to persuade him, between the two World Wars, to return and advise on changes that were needed.
Dr Martin Hawtree was commissioned in 2003 to assess the course in light of changes to modern equipment. His proposals were accepted with the result that all 70 original bunkers were renovated, deepened and/or repositioned with a further 6 added to catch big-hitters playing from the new blue-tee course measuring 6563 yards. Luffenham Heath retains its essential character that has been enjoyed by visitor and members alike since its formation in 1911.