At the beginning of 1898, the originators of the Club designed the course. The first major alteration to the course was in 1899, and this was dictated by the position of the clubhouse. The next major alteration was in 1905, when the new clubhouse was re-erected at the west of Gosforth Park.
At about this time H S Colt advised on the reconstruction of the course and much of this work was in progress when the 1914-18 War broke out. When the war was over James Braid visited the course and gave advice regarding certain alterations which were carried out immediately.