The Island Golf Club was among the first twelve Golf Clubs to be founded in Ireland.
There were two unusual features about it's origin for that time - one that it had no military connection as other clubs had - two that it was initiated as a private proprietary club. The ten founder members became the owners of the Club and only allowed members as annual ticket holders. Most of them were already members of Royal Dublin Golf Club which was founded some years earlier in 1885 but a rule in that club which did not permit play on Sundays was not to their liking.
That is why "In September 1887 four men rowed across the channel which separates the North Dublin village of Malahide from the spur of land to the North known locally as the Island. Their mission was to survey the wilderness and assess its suitably as a golf links."
The visionary boat journey is thus described in the history of the club "A Century of Golf on the Island". The century part of the title as well as denoting one hundred years of delightful golf between 1890 and 1990 also uses the cricketing term for one hundred not out to draw attention to the cricket match in which the legendary player W.G. Grace took part on an area of the links now known as the Cricket Field and which gives its name to the present eleventh hole.