Sunningdale’s New Course was designed by Colt and Morrison in 1923, on heathland including small copses and broom. The first five holes were more or less as now, although the track of the first and eighteenth holes had to be reversed. Colts sixth hole played down the line of today’s ninth hole, though along its left hand ridge to a green over the path down to Valleys End and the Brickmaker’s Arms.
Holes 7-10 were hilly and in today’s woods right of the tenth hole on the Old. The tenth hole was played from the hill above, onto today’s tenth green, and the last eight holes were much the same as current, although the thirteenth was fifty yards longer, and other green locations have been altered.
More land became available in 1934, allowing architect Tom Simpson to scrap the hilly holes and create a clockwise loop, with a 500 yard tenth onto a green on today’s eleventh fairway, and the course was renamed the Jubilee course. This was not popular with members and in 1939 Colt and Morrison were asked to reassess. They reversed the loop, using Simpson’s greens, and built new greens for the thirteenth and eighteenth holes. Their re-design has lasted.