Since 2006, mobile phones have been prohibited from The Open Championship venue. Following a review of this policy, contrary to the condition relating to ‘’Attendance at Event’’, a decision has been reached to permit mobile phones at this year’s Open Championship.
As a result, spectators will be able to keep up-to-date with all the action around the course thanks to a host of official smartphone apps. However, a strict policy will be in place to ensure play is not disrupted in any way by this change. It is intended that the re-introduction of mobile phones will enhance The Open experience for our spectators.
Highlights of this policy include;
- All devices must be in SILENT mode at all times.
- Calls must be placed or received in approved designated areas, referred to as “Mobile Device Zones”.
- No audio or video capture is permitted at any time.
- No still photography is permitted on Championship Days.
- Data use (e.g. texting, e-mail, website access, etc) is permitted throughout the golf course. Volume must be muted at all times.
Further details of this policy will be communicated to all ticket holders by way of signage and verbal reminders on arrival at The Open Championship venue. Spectators who breach any provision of this policy will be subject to the terms and conditions of ticket sales.