Andrew was the most illustrious but never won The Open, as Hugh did in 1891 at St Andrews. In doing so he beat his own brother into second place. Two rounds of 83 on the Old Course came him a record total for Opens at St Andrews of 166 and he won by two from Andrew and the 1883 Champion Willie Fernie. Hugh had a slashing swing which appealed to spectators and once had a round of 74 on the Old Course, playing the first nine in 33. But on a day of cold winds and driving rain, his performance in keeping a 6 off his card in the second round of The Open was remarkable, even if he did return home with nine successive 5s. This was the last Open to be contested over 36 holes.
The following year at Muirfield it was extended to 72 holes and Hugh finished second to Harold Hilton, while he was fourth in 1893. However, he never played in The Open again after 1895. He never fully recovered after a severe bout of influenza in 1896 and he died a while later. Curiously, the putter that forms the President’s Putter trophy for the Oxford and Cambridge Golfing Society was bought from Hugh in his shop in St Andrews for four shillings. It remains on display in the clubhouse at Rye, where their annual competition is held. Andrew, older by five years, was a runner-up in The Open three times, including in 1879 and 1889, when he lost a play-off to Willie Park Jnr. He was also third on three occasions and was later the honorary professional for the Royal and Ancient.