COURSE PAR 70 YARDAGE 6996
CSS 74 SSS 74
Kedleston Park is a parkland course which sits in the grounds of Kedleston Hall in Derbyshire.
At almost 7000 yards it is sure to provide a stern test for those trying to reach The 148th Open at Royal Portrush, as it hosts a Regional Qualifying event for the second straight year.
The expansion of Derby during the 1930's led to the closure, in 1938, of the Markeaton Golf Club when the area was earmarked for development. The Markeaton Golf Club had been formed in 1895 and was one of the founding clubs of the Derbyshire Union in 1913. It was located on Kedleston Road on land, which is now occupied by the University of Derby.
When closure was imminent the club commissioned the respected course architect, and five-time Open Champion, James Braid, to design a course over mature parkland in the grounds of Kedleston Hall.
The onset of the Second World War in 1939 prevented construction, but in 1946 Kedleston Park Golf Club was formed. John Morrison, from renowned course architects Colt, Alison and Morrison, was appointed to finalise the plans for the course using Braid's original design.